11.3.09

Phoebe In Wonderland





In January of 2008 I was able to attend the Sundance Film Festival in Utah with a few friends. While we were there I saw a film called "Phoebe in Wonderland".  I've been waiting and waiting and now it's finally being release in "select" theaters.   Phoebe in Wonderland is not a great film.  It's not going to win any awards at the Oscars, nor should it (aside from the award for best actress which should go to Fanning- she is amazing in this film- and only 8 at the time it was made).  The story is reasonably interesting.  Some of the acting is quite good.  But overall the execution of the film is only ok.  

That notwithstanding, I found the film deeply moving and painfully beautiful for reasons I only partly understand.  Some of those reasons are probably quite subjective to my personal experiences as a child and a father. I recommend it to all of you.  Maybe some of you will connect with it.  Maybe you won't.  

No comments: