6.1.06

Indie Record Stores Fading Out

Back in college I use to go up to Looney T-Bird's every monday night at midnight for the new release party. It was a great weekly ritual. We'd peruse the used cd shelves, swing through the vinyl room and then, if we could find anything worth purchasing (and we always did) we'd wait in line (yes, a line at a record store at midnight on a monday) and we'd take our new find back to the apartment and listen before getting some rest before classes started the next morning.

My top three Looney T-Bird memories:

1. Waiting in line for vs, Pearl jam's much awaited second album.
2. Purchasing an album entitled Bee Thousand from some strange band called Guided by Voices. It was a new movement called "lo-fi". I loved it so much I freaked out.
3. Purchasing both Grant lee Buffalo's Mighty Joe Moon and Radiohead's The Bends in the same evening. These two are forever linked in my psyche.

Alas, Looney's has been gone for several years. I hope my new indie record store (magnolia's in Columbus, Ohio) does not go under also. I'm sure it will eventually.

sigh.

2 comments:

Joe and Josie Haack said...

My favorite Looney T Bird memories:
1.) discovering the guy behind the counter was a Christian subversively stocking the "indie room" with titles from Vigilantes of Love, Pedro the Lion, Starflyer 59, Strong Arm, Soul Junk, Danielson Famile.
2.) Selling my books at DuBois which normally afforded at least 5 new albums. 8 or 9 when my textbooks had a cd-rom that came with it.
3.) The Buzz next door. (which went under the same year Looneys did...that was my junior year. sad year...by the time I graduated, 97 X was saying goodbye...I grieved over that more than graduating)

mobycat said...

Just came across this post. I worked at Looney's at the time Vs. came out. I spent many a Monday night behind the counter selling you the discs. If I recall, our first "Midnight Release Party" was for Guns 'n' Roses "Use Your Illusion" albums. Worked so well, we continued it for as long as I worked there (left in about '96).