6.1.06

The Following Are All They Are Cracked Up To Be:

Most things in life do not live up to the hype. Wether it is new technology, a new experience or a new stage in life, seldom does the reality measure up to the expectation. Once in a while however, something comes along that does measure up and even exceeds our hopes. Over the course of my life I've been keeping a running mental list of things that are all they are cracked up to be. As it stands so far with brief commentary, no particular order:

1. Drivers License: instant freedom and independance. At 16 I learned that a dork in a rusty $600 Mustang II trumps a non-dork on a bicycle.
2. College: more freedom and independance. Don't feel like going to school today? Fine. Go back to bed. Eat cereal in the shower. Who's gonna stop you? Beautiful.
3. I Pod: Come on. Every song you've ever owned in your pocket all the time? Don't pretend that's not awesome.
4. The Gospel: It just keeps getting deeper. And wider. And I'm not just saying this cause I'm suppose to.
5. Sex: awww yeah.
6. Fatherhood: As a father of two little boys I've created my own instant fan club. No matter how my day has gone, or what kind of mess I'm making out of my vocational life, when I walk in the house at the end of the day I am a rock star, a stand up comedian and the world's strongest man.
7. Hawaii: Way too commercialized and over-populated, but absolutely, jaw-droppingly beautiful. Photos do it no justice. Worth the trip just to stand on the beach and stare up at Diamondhead.
8. The Millenium Falcon: My parents bought it for me in 1984 when I had my tonsils removed. It was the coolest, ever. Han behind the controls, Chewie riding shot gun, and if you removed the batteries you could even cram Yoda into the battery compartment.

Let's hear it. What are yours?

5 comments:

Charity said...

Blow Pops. The sour apple flavor in particular.

Charity said...

Oh, oh- CHOCOLATE-Can't forget that one!

pilgrim said...

You should take the hike to the top of Diamond HEad--evn a better view.
(And you can say you hiked to the top of a volcano--starting from the crater--even if it is extinct)

daniel fox said...

my powerbook.
all the songs i've ever owned plus ones i dont, plus all my hobbies and vocation tools and movies and access to almost all the information i could ever think to want to know, and contact with my friends and family.

really, one of the best investments ive ever made

Anonymous said...

dogs. They are always happy to see you. you are their food, love and everything else they could ever want. katy d.