10.4.05

Reader's Poll


I wanna rock right now!
Originally uploaded by Greg Blosser.
I need your help! I am conducting a research project that is very important. And secret. It's for the government or something. Here's the question: What word would you have most likely used to describe the item in this photo between the years 1981 and 1987? Is this a "Boom Box" or a "Ghetto Blaster"?

I remember what a big deal it was to have a really big stereo to carry around on your shoulder. Once when I was in like the fourth grade or something, I was at the YMCA and there were all these really cool teenagers playing basketball in the gym and one of them had a stereo so big it had a television built right into it. I was convinced the owner and operator of that stereo must have been the all time coolest dude ever. EVER! Who knows what I'm saying? If you are reading this PLEASE take a moment and respond to this very imprortant poll. it's for the good of mankind or whatever. Also, feel free to leave your memories of the giant stereos of yore. Thanks.


Boom Box or Ghetto Blaster?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jam Box

Charity said...

Mine didn't look exactly like that, but I had a BOOM BOX! It fit perfectly in the shelf for books on my headboard. I would secrectly listen to U2 at low volumes at night. Michael W. Smith when the parents were listening. IN THE NAME OF LOVE, ONE MORE......

Anonymous said...

Growing up, in our white household, we called it a boom box. The one we had went from New York to the Gulf War with my dad, where sand storms took that Boom Box to its grave.

p90me said...

It was all context for me, which was indicative of a particular genius I possessed as a kid. I was contextualizing my message long before any hip, twenty-something ministers tried to do it. When I was rollin' around the 8700 block of Blitzen in Reindeer Heights, or simply "the Heights"; again, according to context, then it was known as a "Boom Box". I could often be seen on my porch with my cardboard and rockin' out "Breakin'" or "The Break Dance Instruction"---'put your left arm out, roll it up, bring it to your body and shake yo' butt'. I won't soon forget the look of the girls in the Heights and their love for my dance.

However, when I ventured to Chicago, which was the big city trip my family would take, then it was a "Ghetto Blaster". I will never forget seeing this brotha' rollin' down the street in Chi-town with the world's biggest "ghetto blaster". And I think it was pushed to 11. He was the envy of the streets. That was also the first time I saw a drug deal, so it was a big moment in my life.

Anonymous said...

It's clearly a boom box