12.5.06

Baddest Man Ever.

This is one of those Olympic hype, special interest stories from the games in Australia a while back. The "baddest man ever" whom I am referring to is the subject of the story, not Bob Costas. Just didn't want anyone to be confused. My favorite part is when Karelin says "Wrestling is how I express myself". Some people journal in their notebooks, or play the piano and others pick up grown men and smash them into the ground face first. Consistently. For thirteen years.

Ironically, Karelin lost his very first (and last) match in the finals. He lost to a big doughy American named Rulon Gardner. Karelin was just getting a bit too old to compete at the same level. I think he was pushing 40 at the time of his last match. Now he serves in the Russian parliment. Did I mention the guy is also a genius?

If you have the guts to actually watch this video clip, I would not sit directly in front of the screen. Sit at like a 45 degree angle or something. We can't be sure that Karelin won't finish the taping of the segment and then reach his left arm through the video camera and six years into the future, just to grab you by the throat and yank you into your own computer monitor and back out onto the wrestling mat so he can pick you up and smash your face into the ground as well. I mean it probably won't happen, but why risk it, you know?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sure, Karelin was tough in the Greco-Roman arena. But Greco Roman is only practiced by like 25 guys in the whole world, and was originally conducted in the nude. Any sport with those credentials is suspect.

I maintain that Karelin's greatness can only be established if and when he stops hiding behind his Olympic achievments and tests his mettle on the loftiest stage in wrestling, the WWE Smackdown.

I challenge Karelin to go head to head with The Undertaker, Umaga, Ray Mysterio, or the Boogeyman and see how he fares. A convincing victory against these intimidating foes is the only way to establish his true place in the wrestling pantheon.

Karelin, "What are you gonna do when the madness and the mania run wild on you!"

Mike Donaoe

Gettinger said...

I think I could take him.

Greg said...

You know something... I think you could, too.

David Kear said...

I watched that match between the tubby Gardner and the chiseled from granite Karelin. It was like a dream come true. It was one of those instances in which life exceeds your expectations. It was like on Star Trek when there is an anomaly in the space-time continuum. Well, maybe not but you get the picture.
DK

Gettinger said...

I watched that match too. For me, it was more shock and disbelief. I don't know if I can describe it exactly.
Picture yourself coming home from work and going to set your keys down on the counter, only when you let go of them, instead of falling to the counter, they go up.

This was a guy who once (according to Sports Illustrated) carried a refrigerator to his eighth floor appartment without help, just because he likes to be self-sufficient.