20.5.05

Creation, Redemption, Baseball & The City of God: An Introduction


pncsky2
Originally uploaded by Greg Blosser.
Will we play baseball in Heaven?
This question was recently posed, I believe at least partially in jest. This is understandable, as it seems absurd to us. We have difficulty reconciling such an earthly, and seemingly insignificant pleasure like baseball with the concept of Heavenly, eternal, spiritual life spent in communion with the Triune and Almighty Creator God of the universe. Won't such physical and earthly preoccupations as baseball be transcended at that point?

If such a question seems absurd, it is only because our understanding of God and the world is warped, unbiblical, and ultimately sub-Christian. There is good reason to believe that we may perhaps play baseball in Heaven. This is good news. This is Good News- capital G capital N.

Here's what I intend to demonstrate: Creation is good and though fallen, stands to be redeemed by the victory of Christ. The develpment of culture, though mediated by mankind, is a legitimate and important part of God's creation. Thus cultural forms also stand to be redeemed by the victory of Christ. This redemption ultimately culminates in the coming of the City of God in it's fullness. This City, and this Redemptive Climax is not merely spiritual and heavenly, but is physical and earthly as well. This new city, this coming age of glory, represents not only a discontinuity with the world as it exists now (for instance in it's falleness and rebellion against God) but also (and this is the whole point!) continuity with the world as it currently exists as well (for instance in it's beauty, and it all of it's God pleasing cultural structures, and many of it's people, which will at that point be entirely freed from sin). As the nations bring their treasures into the new city we may in fact see the sport of baseball ushered into this new age and offered up for the glory of God as a demonstration of the faithfulness of God and the obedience of man to "image God" in being a sub-creator of good things. In which case, yes there would be baseball in Heaven. And God would like it. Even more than he does now. Which is a lot. I'm not joking.

Obviously, demonstrating this will be a somewhat lengthy endeavor. I will therefore write in installments.

Some of you may be asking yourselves at this point if I am serious. I am. Others will be asking if I am making this stuff up. I am not. I am deeply passionate about this aspect of the Christian faith. This is the Gospel. It is my only comfort in life and in death.

Why do I say this? Becasue ultimately, for the Christian, the question "will there be baseball in Heaven" is not a question about baseball, or even heaven. It is a question about the nature and scope of the victory of Christ.

This may be difficult reading. Please please please post comments, ask questions etc etc. as you need clarification. I am a pastor and teacher at heart and nothing brings me more joy than questions. And beer. So if you don't bring me joy, then bring me beer and we'll call it even.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Meaningless? You think heaven is a place that is meaningless?! That makes me sick to my stomach.

Greg said...

Birty,

Now I have a better grasp of the purpose of your question. I'll be able to address your question better. However, I'll also follow up on the track I've already begun so we don't leave others hanging mid-discussion.

good to see you this weekend,

fp



Anonymous,

I'm so very glad you are reading the blog. I value your input and perspective and I can understand why some of the things you read here will be challenging and even disturbing to you. It is good to dialogue with people from differing perspectives and can result in growth for everyone involved.

Often we christians (assuming that is your perspective) respond to different viewpoints by rushing to defend the integrity of scripture or the honor of God. This is a good impulse and Peter calls us to always be ready with an answer for those who ask us the reason for the hope we have. We must be careful however to respond with gentleness and respect to everyone. Responses which belittle or demean or dismiss another's beliefs or questions are not helpful. I know this was not your intent, but this was the perception created by your words. Let Christians be quick to listen, quick to understand and slow to speak. And when we speak we ought to speak a message which reflects God's truth in a manner which reflects his grace. I'm still working on this and blow it quite regularly. Let's rededicate our selves to this task.

I would like to have addressed you privately on this matter as my intent is not to create embarassment. Your decision to post anonymously made this impossible.

I thank God for your faith and your zeal in defending the gospel.

Peace,

fp

p90me said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
p90me said...

FP,

My syllogism needs a little tweaking, but I think it may help and will work:

There are no tears in heaven (Rev. 21).
There is no crying in baseball.
Therefore, there is baseball in heaven.

Once this is ironed out, being the Van Tillian that I am, I hope to demonstrate the transcendental necessity of baseball being in heaven.

Also, FP, although I am agreement on this particular point with you, please tell me you aren't singing Audio Adrenaline's "Father's House" during your 'praise' nights.

KDNY

Meet Kamski said...

Your website allows us to gain new knowledge that is easy to google understand and does not require the hassle of subscribing.

sbobet มือถือ said...

Je ne sais pas dans quelle mesure vous sbobet link pouvez m'aider à obtenir cette information, car je veux accéder à beaucoup d'informations, je ne sais pas comment m'aider?

sbobet ทางเข้า said...

Nice to meet you. Who wants to sbobet thai help me talk with me?